Lester D. and Thelma I. Ellwood Educational Scholarship
The Lester D. and Thelma I. Ellwood Scholarship application is now closed and will open in early 2021.
The Lester D. and Thelma I. Ellwood Scholarship was established to encourage and support access to educational opportunities by assisting worthy graduates of Guernsey County high schools in pursuit of post-secondary education. Lester and Thelma Ellwood strongly believed in the importance of education. When the Great Depression took hold of the Cambridge area, Lester needed to leave high school to help support his family, but always knew the value of education.
Thelma graduated from high school and became Lester’s partner in business as well as life. The couple operated Ellwood Orchards, Ellwood Tractor Supply, The Beverage House, and Ellwood’s Food Market. When Lester passed away in 1987, Thelma established a trust fund to provide money for college scholarships for Guernsey County high school students and, after her death, the Lester and Thelma Ellwood Scholarship was created.
- Applicants must be a current or past graduate of Buckeye Trail High School, Cambridge High School, Meadowbrook High School, or any other Guernsey County high school. Students pursuing post-secondary education at an accredited 2-year, 4-year or technical/trade school or university are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must demonstrate a strong work ethic and good ethical character;
- Community service will be assessed as evidenced by leadership, service, activities, and references;
- Financial need will be considered and candidates must have at least a 2.5 GPS on a 4.00 scale;
- Assistance is not intended for pursuit of advanced degrees (e.g. Master’s degrees).
Amount of Award
Scholarship awards and amounts will vary annually, depending on availability of funds. Previous scholarship recipients are eligible to apply for continued support, along with those already attending an institution and/or those returning to school later in life.