The Bachtel Scholarship Awards Program application is now closed and will open in early 2021.
Dr. Harry Keig grew up to become a successful physician and surgeon in the Omaha area, but never forgot his hometown or the teachers who educated him. He also never forgot the life-shaping influence of his friend, Forrest Bachtel, longtime teacher and coach at Middleport High School in Meigs County. When Dr. Keig passed away in 2003, his bequest created a $500,000 endowed fund at the Foundation for Appalachian Ohio in honor of his friend, Coach Bachtel, to provide college scholarships for Meigs High School students.
Eligibility Requirements and Criteria:
- Must be a student at Meigs High School
- Eligible students must be nominated by the administrative or teaching staff of Meigs High
School or a member of the Meigs High School parent-teacher/booster organization.
- Nominators must submit an official nomination form and a synopsis describing the student’s achievements and any known special circumstances to the Awards Advisory Committee.
- Nominees must then submit two letters of reference as well as his or her resume describing academic, athletic, and extracurricular activities.
- Two scholarships will be awarded in recognition of athletic excellence (one for a young man and one for a young woman); and
- Two scholarships will be awarded in recognition of academic achievement (one for a young man and one for a young woman).
- Each scholarship will be for a total amount of $7,500 ($2,500 per academic year, for three academic years).