Nelsonville Community Foundation Fund
To donate to the Nelsonville Community Foundation Fund, click here.
When the former Nelsonville Junior High and High School buildings were replaced by a new campus, a group of Nelsonville residents didn’t want to see the history of those buildings erased like past community school buildings. So, they took action.
This group of citizens worked over 16 years to maintain and save those buildings to preserve a piece of Nelsonville history while also adding value to the community. And they succeeded.
The group knew that they wanted to keep the dollars from their investment in the community, so they used the dollars to create the Nelsonville Community Foundation Fund at FAO to ensure that those dollars would continue to serve Nelsonville citizens and the surrounding areas forever through a permanent endowment.
The Nelsonville Community Foundation (NCF), in partnership with the Foundation for Appalachian Ohio (FAO), invites nonprofit and public organizations seeking funding for a project or program serving Nelsonville and its surrounding areas to apply for the 2022 grant round.
NCF and FAO’s I’m a Child of Appalachia® Fund will award funding to support projects or programs that benefit residents of Nelsonville and the surrounding communities of Buchtel, Carbon Hill, and Murray City across five areas essential to generating and sustaining transformative change: Arts & Culture; Community & Economic Development; Education; Environmental Stewardship; and Health & Human Services. Projects should increase quality of life, create access to opportunities, or implement a solution to a need in the area. Grant requests should be between $500 and $5,000.
2022 applications are currently closed and under review. Grantees will be announced in Quarter 4 2022.
2021 Grant Recipients
• Athens County Children Services for the Buckeye Bags Food Access Program
• Nelsonville Food Cupboard, Inc., toward the food pantry’s purchase of the facility it currently leases
• Southeast Ohio Youth Mentoring for Buckeye Buddies: Youth Leadership in Nelsonville
• First Presbyterian Church of Nelsonville Ohio for Raise the Roof, a project to replace the church’s slate roof with a metal one
• Athenian Berean Community Players for stage platforms and wireless microphones for actors
• Nelsonville Rotary Club for the Nelson Commons Refresh project toward repairs and improvements at the park shelter house and city pool house
Nelsonville Family of Funds
The Growing Family of Funds includes:
• Nelsonville Community Foundation Fund
• Nelsonville High School Alumni Association
• The Katie McCoy and Mary Jane McKinley Music Scholars Fund of First United Methodist Church of Nelsonville
• Moon Family Legacy Fund for Nelsonville
Nelsonville Committee Members
• Stuart Brooks
• Steven Cox
• Kevin Dotson
• Dorothy Gettle
• Garry Hunter
• Bill L’Heureaux
• Anita McDonald
• Betty Jo Parsley
Support the Nelsonville Community
The Nelsonville Community Foundation Fund invites gifts from people who hold Nelsonville and the surrounding areas close to their hearts. As the Fund grows, it will invest in the community through grants that support projects and organizations improving quality of life for citizens in this area.