Nelsonville Community Foundation Fund
To donate to the Nelsonville Community Foundation Fund, click here.
When the former Nelsonville Junior High and High School buildings were replaced by a new campus, a group of Nelsonville residents didn’t want to see the history of those buildings erased like past community school buildings. So, they took action.
This group of citizens worked over 16 years to maintain and save those buildings to preserve a piece of Nelsonville history while also adding value to the community. And they succeeded.
The group knew that they wanted to keep the dollars from their investment in the community, so they used the dollars to create the Nelsonville Community Foundation Fund at FAO to ensure that those dollars would continue to serve Nelsonville citizens and the surrounding areas forever through a permanent endowment.
The Nelsonville Community Foundation (NCF), in partnership with the Foundation for Appalachian Ohio (FAO), invites nonprofit and public organizations seeking funding for a project or program serving Nelsonville and its surrounding areas to apply for the next grant round. To learn more about when NCF’s next ground round opens, sign up for FAO’s e-newsletter here.
NCF and FAO’s I’m a Child of Appalachia® Fund awarded up to $10,000 in grants to projects or programs that benefit residents of Nelsonville. Projects increase quality of life, create access to opportunities, or implement a solution to a need in Nelsonville. To learn more about the projects funded by NCF in 2021, see the information below.
2021 Grant Recipients
• Athens County Children Services for the Buckeye Bags Food Access Program
• Nelsonville Food Cupboard, Inc., toward the food pantry’s purchase of the facility it currently leases
• Southeast Ohio Youth Mentoring for Buckeye Buddies: Youth Leadership in Nelsonville
• First Presbyterian Church of Nelsonville Ohio for Raise the Roof, a project to replace the church’s slate roof with a metal one
• Athenian Berean Community Players for stage platforms and wireless microphones for actors
• Nelsonville Rotary Club for the Nelson Commons Refresh project toward repairs and improvements at the park shelter house and city pool house
Nelsonville Family of Funds
The Growing Family of Funds includes:
• Nelsonville Community Foundation Fund
• Nelsonville High School Alumni Association
Nelsonville Committee Members
• Stuart Brooks
• Steven Cox
• Kevin Dotson
• Dorothy Gettle
• Garry Hunter
• Bill L’Heureaux
• Anita McDonald
• Betty Jo Parsley
Support the Nelsonville Community
The Nelsonville Community Foundation Fund invites gifts from people who hold Nelsonville and the surrounding areas close to their hearts. As the Fund grows, it will invest in the community through grants that support projects and organizations improving quality of life for citizens in this area.