Scholarship Fund Supports Legion Baseball Players’ Post-Secondary Education
Cambridge, OH – Don Coss was Guernsey County’s “Mr. Baseball” and his commitment to his players extended far outside the baselines of a ball field. Following his passing, the Don Coss Memorial Scholarship Fund was created through a gift in his will to support Post 84 Cambridge American Legion baseball players as they pursue their post-secondary education.
This year, eight American Legion Post 84 players received scholarships totaling $16,000 and each scholarship honors the legacy of Don Coss and his commitment to his Legion players. 2018 scholarship recipients include:
- Connor Aleshire is a 2018 graduate of Cambridge High School and plans to attend Wright State University where he will study biological sciences;
- Garth Charlton is a second-year student studying health and wellness at Ohio Valley University;
- Cole Larson is a third-year student studying accounting and business management at Muskingum University;
- Connor Leppla is a 2018 graduate of Cambridge High School and plans to attend Wheeling Jesuit University to obtain his bachelor’s degree;
- Austin McPeek is a 2018 Shenandoah High School graduate who plans to attend Wheeling Jesuit University to study electrical engineering;
- Cole Rostash is a second-year student at Muskingum University where he is working to obtain his bachelor’s degree;
- Ryan Rusnak is a 2018 graduate of Meadowbrook High School and plans to attend Muskingum University where he will study environmental studies; and
- Gaetan Sinisgalli is a second-year student studying graphic design at West Liberty University.
The Foundation for Appalachian Ohio (FAO) is pleased to partner with over 50 donor-created scholarship funds, like the Don Coss Memorial Scholarship Fund, to support Appalachian Ohio students as they pursue post-secondary education. In 2018, scholarship funds at FAO awarded over 460 scholarships totaling over $400,000 to support post-secondary education. FAO is proud to work locally with the Guernsey County Foundation to support Guernsey County students as they pursue post-secondary education.
FAO scholarship applications open annually mid-February. To learn more about scholarship opportunities at FAO and how you can support Appalachian Ohio students, please visit www.AppalachianOhio.org/Scholarships or call 740.753.1111.
About the Guernsey County Foundation
The Guernsey County Foundation receives contributions and bequests of all sizes from individuals to assist in the funding of projects and charitable organizations. Through this unique collaboration with the Foundation for Appalachian Ohio, the Guernsey County Foundation extends its philanthropic efforts throughout our community. More information can be found at www.guernseycountyfoundation.org or www.AppalachianOhio.org.
About the Foundation for Appalachian Ohio
The Foundation for Appalachian Ohio (FAO) is a regional community foundation serving the 32 counties of Appalachian Ohio. A 501(c)(3) public charity, the Foundation creates opportunities for Appalachian Ohio’s citizens and communities by inspiring and supporting philanthropy. For more information about FAO, visit www.AppalachianOhio.org.